We round up the best value day trips to make with your family this summer in Dorset. From Weymouth’s annual Barrel Roll to Dorset’s County Show, we’ve got something for families of all ages.
1. Swanage RNLI Week | 7th - 16th August 2015Join Swanage Lifeboat Station at their annual fundraiser to keep their two lifeboats, (the all weather 'Mersey' class and a 'D-Class' inshore lifeboat) afloat. This year, the event runs from Friday 7th August to Sunday 16th August and you can get enjoy a packed schedule of events including their charity duck race (ducks are just £1) on Sunday 9th August. However the main event, the Raft Race, starts on the main beach on Saturday 15th and is followed by a BBQ and live music in the Prince Albert Gardens, with free entry.
2. Weymouth Barrel Challenge | 22nd August 2015With a day of live music from local bands and a variety of stalls lining Trinity Street in Weymouth, the 2015 Weymouth Barrel Challenge looks set to be another corker. The day culminates with the Barrel Roll which has teams of three of four roll their barrels around a course of approximately 12 miles, ending with a stretch along the quay in fancy dress. Teams are judged on their outfits, not the time it takes to complete and if you’re looking to take part, there are shorter routes and smaller barrels for teams with children. All in all, a great day out to raise money for some fantastic local charities.
3. Bridport Hat Festival | 5th September 2015On Saturday 5th September, head to Bridport to join the sixth Bridport Hat Festival in full swing. With everything from hat making classes and competitions, to trade stands and live entertainment, the only stipulation is that you wear your best hat! Judges will be scouting the crowds for the best hats and winners will be announced over the course of the day.
Did you know - Bridport’s harbour at West Bay gained recent fame as ITV's fictional 'Broadchurch', however the town itself is a hub of quirky charm.
4. Dorset County Show | 5th, 6th & 7th September 2015With adult advance tickets from just £11, and under 16s getting in for free, the Dorset County Show is a great option for a family day out this summer. Spend time watching the livestock showing classes, tractor exhibits, and craft demonstrations and wander around the 500 trade stands. At lunch, grab your picnic and perch on the straw bales beside the Main Ring to drink in the featured events including team showjumping, scurry driving, vintage tractor display and the White Helmets display team.
5. Party in the Park | 16th August 2015
Set in Lodmoor Country Park in Weymouth, Air FM’s Party in the Park on the 16th August is a free event to celebrate music and help raise money for the radio station. With face painting, balloon modelling, and a bouncy galleon it’s a perfect mix of child friendly events as well as a stellar line up of performances from Amy Mayes, The Leggoman, The Steve Wilson Band and Ian Sedwell.
We hope you enjoyed our guide to 5 of the best day trips for the family this Summer. If you have any questions before the school term starts again you can contact us on 01305 780700.